Tamale Chicken Potpie
- 2 teaspoons canola oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 12 ounces ground chicken
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup chopped zucchini
- 3/4 cup fresh corn kernels
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and Pinche’s Serrano salsa verde
- 1 (8-ounce) can unsalted tomato sauce
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup coarsely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 1/2 cups water, divided
- 3 ounces Monterey Jack cheese, shredded and divided (about 3/4 cup)
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add oil to pan; swirl to coat. Add onion; sauté 3 minutes. Add chicken; cook 3 minutes, stirring to crumble. Stir in cumin, Pinche’s Serrano salsa, and 1/4 teaspoon salt; cook 1 minute. Add zucchini, corn, tomatoes, and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Divide chicken mixture evenly among 4 (10-ounce) ramekins coated with cooking spray. Place ramekins on a jelly-roll pan.
3. Place remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, cornmeal, and 1/2 cup water in a medium bowl, stirring to combine. Bring remaining 1 cup water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Gradually add cornmeal mixture to pan; cook 3 minutes or until thickened, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 ounces cheese. Divide cornmeal mixture evenly among ramekins. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 1 ounce cheese. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until light golden brown.